Resources for families with young children affected by hurricanes
The Office of Early Learning has compiled resources and information to help families who have been affected by hurricanes. Children have an especially difficult time adjusting after a disaster. This page is filled with resources including guides on how to discuss the disaster with young children, health and safety information for evacuees returning to damaged homes and ways to help your child feel safe after the emotional distress they have experienced.
- PBS: How to Prepare Children for Unexpected Events and Emergencies
- WFSU: Preparing For Florida Hurricanes, Helping Children Cope
- National Child Traumatic Stress Network Hurricane Resources
- CDC: Preparedness and Safety Messaging for Hurricanes, Flooding and Similar Disasters
- CCR&R: Supporting Families Experiencing Natural Disasters
- Children's book, Trinka and Sam: The Rainy, Windy Day