Specialized Instructional Services Providers
Beginning with the 2012-2013 school year, a child who has a disability, as evidenced by a current individual educational plan (IEP) and is age-eligible for VPK (4 years old by September 1) is eligible for specialized instructional services (SIS). The Department of Education approves SIS providers whose services meet statutory standards, maintains a list of approved providers, and notifies each school district and early learning coalition of the approved provider list.
Parents with questions about accessing SIS for their child, or any questions a SIS provider may have beyond approval should be directed to Florida's Office of Early Learning at 1-866-447-1159 or to the local early learning coalition.
Certain categories of certified providers are automatically approved and require no forms to be submitted to the Department of Education
- Individuals certified pursuant to section 393.17, F.S., or licensed pursuant to chapter 490, F.S., or chapter 491, F.S., for applied behavior analysis services as defined under Sections 627.6686 and 641.31098, F.S.;
- Speech-language pathologists licensed under Section 468.1185, F.S;
- Occupational therapists licensed under chapter 468, Part III, F.S.;
- Physical therapists licensed under chapter 486, F.S.;
- Clinical Social Workers licensed under chapter 491, F.S.; and
- Psychologists licensed under chapter 490, F.S.
The following SIS applicants should use DOE Form VPK-SIS1
- Listening and Spoken Language Specialists™ certified by the Alexander Graham Bell Academy for Listening and Spoken Language;
- Board Certified Behavior Analysts certified by the Behavior Analyst Certification Board® pursuant to Rule 65G-4.0011, F.A.C.
If an SIS applicant is licensed or certified in an applicable field of study not covered above, DOE Form VPK-SIS2 should be used.
A parent can also apply to have an SIS provider approved (DOE Form VPK-SIS3). For approval, the services of the SIS provider must
- be consistent with the child's individual educational plan;
- be provided by service provider licensed or certified in an applicable field of study;
- be delivered according to professionally accepted standards;
- be delivered in accordance with the performance standards adopted by the department for use in VPK and
- address the age-appropriate progress of the child in the development of the capabilities, capacities, and skills required under s. 1(b), Art. IX of the State Constitution.
State Board Approved Rule and Forms (Approved 7-17-12)
Rule 6A-6 03033 - Specialized Instructional Services for Voluntary Prekindergarten Children with Disabilities (RTF)
Approved SIS Providers
Several categories of certified providers are approved automatically and not listed here. You will find more information about those categories in the rule approved by the state board. You can refer to Section 1002.66, Florida Statutes (F.S.), to read the law. The technical assistance paper that follows has responses to general questions. There is also a list of providers who are approved to deliver specialized instructional services.
The Office of Early Learning hosted two VPK SIS Webinars in September 2014, with staff from the Bureau of Exceptional Education and Student Services (BEESS) and the Office of Independent Education and Parental Choice. The webinars provided important information about VPK SIS for staff from Early Learning Coalitions, school district Pre-K, McKay and ESE contacts, as well as other interested stakeholders. The materials from the webinars are located below.