Professional Development and Training
Professional Development and Teacher Resources available from the Florida Department of Education/Division of Early Learning
The Florida Department of Education/Division of Early Learning, in collaboration with the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF), offers a variety of both online and instructor-led training opportunities. For a comprehensive listing of current instructor-led and online training opportunities for directors, teachers, assistants and parents, click on the links below.
To register for any of these training opportunities, please visit DCF's website.
NEW - VPK Instructor Emergent Literacy and Standards Course Requirements
Recently the Florida legislature passed House Bills 7011 and 419 requiring that all Florida VPK instructors complete three 5-hour emergent literacy courses and a student performance standards training course approved by the Division of Early learning by July 1, 2022. The courses in the folllowing link meet these training requirements,
Please continue to visit this page for further training updates as the Division of Early Learning continues to post training information and opportunities relevant to all VPK educators.
- Florida Statute 1002.59 Emergent literacy and performance standards for training courses
- Florida Statute 1002.55 School-year prekindergarten program delivered by private prekindergarten providers
- Florida Statute 1002.63 School-year prekindergarten program delivered by public schools
- Emergent Literacy Training Requirement Memo
- Emergent Literacy Training Requirement FAQs
- March Emergent Literacy Virtual Instructor-led Training (Component 1) Registration Calendar
- February Virtual Reflection (Component 3) Registration Calendar for Online Training Participants Only
- January Emergent Literacy Virtual Instructor-led Training (Component 1) Registration Calendar (All courses have reached capacity.)
- January Virtual Reflection (Component 3) Registration Calendar for Online Training Participants Only (All courses have reached capacity.)
- Virtual Instructor-led Training Registration Tips
- Online Training Registration Tips
- VPK Regional Facilitator
- Questions related to the Emergent Literacy or Florida Standards course requirements may be sent to VPKQuestions@oel.myflorida.com.
- Where do I find my completed DOE trainings on my DCF transcript?
Professional Learning Community: Emergent Literacy
The goal of emergent literacy instruction is to teach the building blocks that will, in later grades, provide children the foundation needed to become proficient readers, writers, and communicators. Emergent literacy building blocks, or skills, include print knowledge, phonological awareness, vocabulary, and oral language. Preschoolers who learn these skills are less likely to develop future reading problems and more likely to read with ease, understand what they read, and succeed in school.
The Regional Educational Laboratory Program website provides multiple resources for educators and leaders to engage in a professional learning model focused on the four emergent literacy building blocks that are evidence-based, collaborative, and practice-relevant.
The Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards Website offers multiple resources for teachers and families.
The Bright Beginnings Website includes resources for teachers and parents to use to guide children's success in emergent reading and mathematical skills while attending VPK. The website also includes the online reporting system for the VPK Assessment.
Activity Plans, based on the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards: 4 Years Old to Kindergarten (2017), are designed to help develop the skills that 4-year-old children should know and be able to do by the end of their prekindergarten year. There are targeted standards for 4-year-old children included in each lesson plan.