Professional Development and Training
If you are inquiring about a course update to your training transcript,
For questions or concerns about the DCF Director Credential or Staff Credentials and qualifications,
For questions pertaining to VPK Instructors or VPK Director training requirements,
DEL Emergent Literacy Micro-Credential Information
Professional Development and Teacher Resources available from the Florida Department of Education/Division of Early Learning
The Florida Department of Education/Division of Early Learning, in collaboration with the Florida Department of Children and Families (DCF), offers a variety of both online and instructor-led training opportunities. For a comprehensive listing of current instructor-led and online training opportunities for directors, teachers, assistants and parents, click on the links below.
To register for any of these training opportunities, please visit DCF's website.
VPK Director Credential Requirements
All Voluntary Prekindergarten (VPK) Directors must complete the Florida Director Credential program and five additional training courses in accordance with Rule 6M-8.610, Florida Administrative Code (F.A.C.). This training must be completed in order for a VPK program to be eligible for contracting in the 2022-2023 program year.
NEW - VPK Instructor Emergent Literacy and Standards Course Requirements
Recently the Florida legislature passed House Bills 7011 and 419 requiring that all Florida VPK instructors complete three 5-hour emergent literacy courses and a student performance standards training course approved by the Division of Early Learning by July 1, 2022. The courses in the following link meet these training requirements,
Please continue to visit this page for further training updates as the Division of Early Learning continues to post training information and opportunities relevant to all VPK educators.
- Florida Statute 1002.59 Emergent literacy and performance standards for training courses
- Florida Statute 1002.55 School-year prekindergarten program delivered by private prekindergarten providers
- Florida Statute 1002.63 School-year prekindergarten program delivered by public schools
- Emergent Literacy Training Requirement Memo
- Emergent Literacy Training Requirement FAQs
Virtual and In-person Instructor-led trainings are provided by the VPK Regional Facilitators.
Please contact your regional facilitator for trainings available in your area.
How to Complete the Online Phonological Awareness Development for Preschoolers Course
VPK Emergent Literacy Training Informational Session (PPT)
VPK Emergent Literacy Training Informational Session (recording)
March Virtual Reflection Calendar
for Online Participants ONLY.
- Please register via the Florida Early Childhood Professional Development Registry using the course reference number for the session you wish to attend.
- PLEASE be sure to register via the ZOOM registration link provided in the course description.
- The course description is located in the DCF registry during the registration process.
- You will receive the session ZOOM link 2 days prior to the schedule VR session.
- PLEASE double-check your calendar before registering to guarantee your attendance. Unused reservations prevent other Florida educators from being able to attend the training session. Thank you for your consideration!
PLEASE be sure to register for the Virtual Reflection (VR) both in the DCF registry and via the ZOOM registration link provided in the course description. The course description is located in the DCF registry during the registration process. During the ZOOM registration process you will be prompted to submit a copy of your component 1 - online training certificate or the certificate number. This step is absolutely necessary to verifying that component 1 was completed before attending component 2. Once component 1 is verified, you will receive the session ZOOM link 2 days prior to the VR session.
PLEASE double-check your calendar before registering to guarantee your attendance. Unused reservations prevent other Florida educators from being able to attend the training session. Thank you for your consideration!
- Virtual Instructor-led Training Registration Tips
- Online Training Registration Tips
- VPK Regional Facilitator
- Questions related to the Emergent Literacy or Florida Standards course requirements may be sent to VPKQuestions@oel.myflorida.com.
- Where do I find my completed DOE trainings on my DCF transcript?
Professional Learning Community: Emergent Literacy
The goal of emergent literacy instruction is to teach the building blocks that will, in later grades, provide children the foundation needed to become proficient readers, writers, and communicators. Emergent literacy building blocks, or skills, include print knowledge, phonological awareness, vocabulary, and oral language. Preschoolers who learn these skills are less likely to develop future reading problems and more likely to read with ease, understand what they read, and succeed in school.
The Regional Educational Laboratory Program website provides multiple resources for educators and leaders to engage in a professional learning model focused on the four emergent literacy building blocks that are evidence-based, collaborative, and practice-relevant.
The Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards Website offers multiple resources for teachers and families.
The Bright Beginnings Website includes resources for teachers and parents to use to guide children's success in emergent reading and mathematical skills while attending VPK. The website also includes the online reporting system for the VPK Assessment.
Activity Plans, based on the Florida Early Learning and Developmental Standards: 4 Years Old to Kindergarten (2017), are designed to help develop the skills that 4-year-old children should know and be able to do by the end of their prekindergarten year. There are targeted standards for 4-year-old children included in each lesson plan.